Blessing in Creation!

Blessing in Creation!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Freelance Writing: How I Began my Journey

I have wanted to start my writing career for a long time, but life kept getting in the way. I decided that this is the year – no more waiting or procrastinating. Let’s face it; I will never be organized so waiting until I am is futile. And there will always be mom duties at hand, So I can learn to juggle both.

I had an idea for an article and wanted to send it to a newspaper. My friend Melissa suggested a local magazine as well. She told me to send a query letter. A what? Oh yeah, that thing Christina Katz talked about in her book, Writer Mama, which incidentally Melissa made me go buy a few months ago. I looked up query letters in the book, typed up a query and sent it to the two destinations. Within a few weeks, I had a go ahead from the local magazine and a meeting with the newspaper editor. Now I’m not published yet, but I am currently working on the two articles for submission.

I am definitely learning as I go, but then that, for me, has always been the way I learn best. I could spend forever preparing and never doing, or I can just jump in feet first and figure it out. So far it is working! Now there is a lot of sense in doing my homework and figuring out the do's and don'ts to avoid failure and increase chances of success. I have a dozen books on tips to successful writing careers stacked up in the other room and I intend to glean all I can. But I cannot wait until I am an expert on this before taking risks. There will always be more to learn and I am prepared to continue learning each step of the way. I hope you will join me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment