Blessing in Creation!

Blessing in Creation!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Moans on Monday

Today is Monday. This morning, I was met with moans and groans from my children as I woke them for school. “I hate Monday”, my daughter said as she turned over and covered herself with her pillow.

I looked outside. It was actually not raining as the NW forecast had warned, and blue sky peaked out from the clouds. It’s a beautiful day I thought.
Why do we often let the day of the week affect our mood? Why on Monday do we wish for it to be Friday. And on Friday, yearn for Saturday. Then on Sundays, why do we grimace at the thought of Monday. Now, I know it is because it is the beginning of the work and school week. But I am talking about why we let the day and the necessities of the day keep us from enjoying to the fullest the fact that we are alive, living in a free country, likely in healthy bodies and surrounded by people we love.

Life is short. I can vividly remember being a kid, a teen, a twenty-something and so on. But those days are gone and before I know it, I will be sixty something or eighty something . . . We can’t get yesterday back. Tomorrow isn’t here yet.
Today is all we have and we can’t get it back either. Do I want to spend today wishing it away? Instead of focusing on the negative or dreary or mundane parts of today, I want to learn how to focus on the good of today. I want to cherish the moment, seize the day, and remember that today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Monday doesn't have to be a day to dread, it can be a day to be glad I am alive. If the day doesn’t hold anything positive for us, perhaps we need to change what we are doing with our days. Maybe we need to change jobs or add something fun to the calendar. Most of all, I believe that we need to change our attitudes to see the day as a blessing.

I am not always a half full glass person. I often see the negative, the boring, and the empty. But I can change my attitude. I can find the good, I can create the positive. I have a pen and I am heading to my calendar to add something to look forward to on Mondays. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment